CRITTENDEN MATH, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY MAGNET PROGRAM
Magnet Director's Welcome
Welcome to Flora D. Crittenden Middle School. Crittenden is the math, science and technology magnet school for the city of Newport News. Our goals are to open the doors of opportunity, spark the imagination of students and maintain academic excellence so that our students are prepared to be responsible citizens in a global society.
Since technology is an important part of our daily lives, students at Crittenden Middle School are exposed to technology in all classes. Students are encouraged to utilize 21st Century technologies and skills to accomplish their daily work. In doing so, students develop the skills needed to choose among and use a wide range of technology tools to solve problems. Are you ready to use technology at the level you need? Check out the STEM page and test yourself. There are tutorials available to help you train yourself as well.
Students with an interest in math work at an accelerated rate are able to take algebra and geometry and receive high school credit while attending middle school. Advanced math students are able to use telecommunications to take accelerated classes for high school credit while remaining in a middle school setting.
Science is enhanced through our Science Fair program, our partnerships with Jefferson Lab, NASA, Virginia Air and Space Center, and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Coalition), Riverside School of Health Services and Christopher Newport University.
In addition, clubs and after-school activities that focus on animal science, forensics, robotics, technology, and problem solving are designed to expose our students to a variety of math and science careers.
All students participate in creating a Digital Portfolio that allows them to explore their own interest, showcase their work, explore career opportunities and feature their interests as well as community and volunteer work. Students are encouraged to reflect on their work, and select items that showcase the student as planner, as learner, as citizen and as employee. using real world technology.
Cougars take pride in their Technology Projects and share them with parents and the community at their annual Night of Excellence.
While at Crittenden, Cougars also have the opportunity to take advantage of:
- Networked desktop computers in all classrooms
- Thirteen computer labs, including labs for Art, Forensics and Robotics
- Six Classroom sets of laptop computers
- Online classes using NNPS Desire 2 Learn
- Award-winning online Student Newspaper Crittenden Purple Press
- Extensive hands-on Math / Science and Technology projects
- Targeted Reading intervention lab
- Targeted Math intervention lab
- Science Lab hand-held probe ware for authentic scientific investigations
- Special clubs (nursing, chess, Odyssey of the Mind, Robotics team Lego League, etc)
- Daily enrichment courses in a variety of subject areas
- 21st Century After School program for targeted students including partnership with YMCA, Christopher Newport University and Hampton University
- Special projects, such as the Virginia Association of Teachers of English Book Trailer Movie Project
- Virtual Field Trips
- Parent workshops
- Student Leadership including SCA , National Junior Honor Society, Cougar Ambassadors and Principal’s Advisory Committee
Special courses and units of study:
- HS Algebra I
- HS Algebra II
- HS Geometry
- HS Earth Science
- Animal Science
- Digital Imaging
- Weather Station (coming soon)
- eGaming with Scratch and Alice
I invite you to make an appointment to visit us and learn more about the exciting programs that we have to offer at Crittenden – the math, science and technology magnet school for Newport News!